Mrs. Gray was a firm believer in the power of southern hospitality. She made sure to welcome each guest to Graylyn with open arms, and made them feel as if they were home. She was well-known for her butterscotch sugar cookies, the recipe being inspired by the names of the beloved family dogs, two Scottish Terriers: Butter and Scotch.
Today, we would like guests to feel just as welcome as they did when they were visiting the Gray family. We honor that tradition by serving butterscotch sugar cookies in the foyer each afternoon at 3pm. Our culinary team bakes the cookies daily, providing a fresh treat for guests around check-in.
Mrs. Gray’s Sugar Cookie with Butterscotch Chips Recipe
- 1 lb. butter, softened
- 8 oz. brown sugar
- 8 oz. white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lb. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. butterscotch morsels
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Cream the butter and sugars together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and butterscotch morsels into butter/sugar mixture until batter is smooth.
- Portion mixture into 2-3.5 oz. balls.
- Place onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool at room temperature.